Sunday, September 11, 2011

Back to the Back

Well, I'd have been a fool not to think a large percentage of the work on this car would have been focused on getting that decrepit rear end sorted, but I had hoped to include most of it in one thread. However, I was being a tad optimistic.

Having said that, Norm and I have made a LOT of progress, and we're really getting to the fiddly details now. So, let me back-track and update you all on where we're at.

Rear Repair Redux

Once the rear end had been assembled with screws and brackets, like a giant Meccano set, each piece would need to be disassembled and the edges ground back, each side, to provide a clean bonding surface. The resulting 'clean' strip would then provide a bonding area, lay the 'glass mat down each side and apply resin. Simple.

OK, everyone out! All sections removed, edges prepped for re-assembly

We started with the centre pan, bolted to the chassis and tek screwed into position along the rear steel lip (as per original assembly procedure). Fibreglass applied over the top of the lip, once completely finished, we will remove the body and bond (love that pun) beneath.

Centre pan in position

First corner bonded in place, away we go!

After the centre plan was located, each section is screwed back into place, and bonded one at a time, starting with the left corner (easiest and least damaged).

Tape on the outside (green) prevents resin from oozing through.

Inside layer

The large gap at the bottom was filled using core-flute taped to the outside (to provide the subtle curve, tangent with the surfaces we already had). Post 'glassing, fibreglass filler on the outside added rigidity.

Outside layer

Both sides of the repair line must be done to complete the repair. As part of the process, a layer of fine weave material placed over the exterior 'glass mat, to smooth off the surface (reducing sanding mess later on). Then repeat many, many times.

Fine weave material in place. This is Norm's special technique and it works a treat

Enter sandman

The bootlid was kept handy at all times to check alignments, but with so many datums missing, we did find the going tough. However, thanks the the modern miracle of fibreglass, correct was never difficult or impossible.

More to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment